Thursday, August 30, 2007

Windows and OS X: a no brainer

I have been an exclusive windows XP user since my induction in the the world of jumpers, fans, video cards, and BSOD's. For about 5 years I battled with the most bloated piece of software ever written and got by pretty decently. But then, on that magical day, apple proclaimed its devotion to the mother of all processing gods, intel.

That day planted the seed in my head, and the summer before UCLA, i threw down and bought a MacBook Pro. I needed a lightweight computer to take with me across the campus and to class, and my bajillion kilogram dell XPS Gen 2 was not going to cut it, especially with its 20 minutes of battery life.

Needless to say, it was the best technological decision that i ever made and I'm so much happier because of it.

The switch was painless, i connected to the XP machines from the mac with no IP addressing (whilst the XP machines had no clue that there was a predatory feline on the network). I got all my files and they all worked without needing third party software, even pdf's (!!!). The apple file system is a little different with / instead of C:\\, but i got the hang of it right away. Also, the bundled software was much better and fully functional, and there were no AOheLl installations to be found.

On the mac I feel like I spend all my time doing the things i intend to do and, for the first time ever in history, I walked away from the computer having nothing further to do on it at the moment (and with time before class to boot). Its completely opposite on windows XP, i spend all my time trying to get it to do things faster, better, at all. I never have enough time on the machine because there is always one more thing to do, on more harddrive to defrag, one more virus to purge.

Unix is amazing, mac is amazing, windows sucks, but i still keep it around for games. But with the advent of bootcamp, i can finally turn that windows machine into the BackTrack computer for good.

What about Windows Vista you say?

We have several Vista machines at my workplace, and they are POS to say the least. A simple ipconfig /release is not even allowed in the administrator account!!!! How the heck can you do ANYTHING? They tried to make it so that you never saw any technical data, and had to activate help programs in order to access admin areas of the control panel. And the Allow or Deny crap was absolutely horrendous. I even got my experienced bosses who thrive on M$ office and think of mac's as toys, to ask me about it!

So take my word for it, get a mac and you wont go back.

No comments: